Monday, September 8, 2008

Eager Expectations

For so many reasons, this time of year is probably my favorite. I love the crisp air and the beautiful colors that I'm already seeing sprinkled throughout the trees. There's excitement all around over various start-ups about to kick in - music lessons, sports, church programs, etc. For me, what I probably get most excited about is the start-up of Women's Bible Study and I'm definitely excited over this season of study. Because I couldn't decide between two of the offerings, I decided to do both (pray for me). Actually, there are quite a number of us who are doing the same thing for the same reason so I'm in good company.

The first study is The Essential 100 (or E-100). This study will take us through 100 carefully selected readings throughout the Old and New Testaments. We've been told the readings should only take about 15 minutes or so to complete and then each week we'll gather to discuss that week's readings.

The second study will be the 6th Beth Moore study I've done - Daniel, Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy. I am completely stoked about this study. I picked up my workbook on Sunday.

So what's the reason for all the excitement? Is it that I'll get to meet and/or catch up with some ladies I've come to admire and whose company I enjoy? That's certainly part of the draw but that's not the main reason. Is it the studies themselves? Well, that's a big one for sure. I did say I was taking a Beth Moore study and I'm a total groupie, as my sister calls me. But truth be told, as much as I love Beth, that's not the only reason.

The main reason is God. After only four years of participating in Women's Bible study, I've come to expect that God is going to do amazing things in my life through the study of His Word. There's going to be stretching, growing, learning and, if He should so choose, perhaps a revelation or two (oh, I hope). Not to say these changes are easy all the time because they haven't always been. Oftentimes, stretching hurts and, for me, there's often a need for me to let go of something which can bring up a lot of fear. But, oh the grace and the mercy and the relationship that I experience in the midst of it. It's unmatched.

One of my favorite songs is Travis Cottrell's "Falling". The lyrics explain some of what I experience during each season of Bible study. I hope the link above works. If it doesn't, I've got the lyrics below.

Be blessed.
Melanie

On the edge of something big and brave
Every breath is another step of faith
Part of me still likes the ground
Where I feel safe and sound
but You push me, pull me
and I finally let go

Chorus
Falling, falling
To the heart of someone so much stronger
Falling in to love

Ever closer, closer to the truth
One by one my fears fade into blue
Wherever You are taking me
Is where I need to be
And You have Your reasons
Who am I to say no

Chorus

I waver, You're steady
I falter, You never fail
You fight for me, I surrender
To You, to You

Chorus

3 comments:

LynnSC said...

Hi Melanie,
Thanks so much for leaving a comment so that I can bookmark you again.

I love Fall. It feels like a new beginning of sorts. Sounds like you are going to be busy with God. I will lift you up in prayer. I haven't done the Daniel study... but I have heard that it is awesome.

Eager Expectations... of what God will do.
Lynn

About Nancy said...

I will indeed pray for you and so eagerly seek to learn more of God. May He bless you abundantly! What a sweet and tender heart you have for Him.
Blessings.

LynnSC said...

Hi again Melanie,
I wanted to say thank you for the award. I finally figured out how to get it over to my sidebar. I haven't passed it on yet....

I bookmarked you again,
Lynn